- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions diced
- 12 ounces sliced Oyster mushrooms
- 1½ cups barley
- ¾ teaspoons dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cups boiling low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add all the ingredients except the stock. Sautee, stirring frequently, until mushrooms begin to brown about 10 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into a deep 2 quart baking dish and pour in the broth.
- Cover tightly and bake for up to 60 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. The barley should have a slightly crunchy texture. If too hard, add some boiling water and cook 10 minutes more.