https://mepkinabbey.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/logo.png 0 0 Mepkin Abbey https://mepkinabbey.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/logo.png Mepkin Abbey2012-03-08 21:19:012019-02-06 19:55:37Potato, Leek, Gruyere, Oyster Mushroom Gratin
Potato, Leek, Gruyere, Oyster Mushroom Gratin
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms, halved if large
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 4 large)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 ¾ cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 ¾ cups whipping cream
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 ¾ pounds russet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (about 8 cups)
- 2 ½ cups grated Gruyère cheese (about 10 ounces) Guoda works well too.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until mushrooms are tender and golden, about 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to bowl. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium high heat.
- Add leeks and thyme and sauté until leeks are tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add leek mixture to bowl with mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Whisk broth, cream, wine, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Layer ⅓ of potatoes on bottom of prepared dish.
- Top with half of mushroom-leek mixture, then ¾ cup cheese. Top with half of remaining potatoes. Pour half of cream mixture over.
- Top with remaining mushroom-leek mixture and ¾ cup cheese.
- Cover with remaining potatoes. Pour remaining cream mixture over; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake gratin uncovered until potatoes are tender and sauce bubbles thickly, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Let gratin stand 30 minutes before serving.