https://mepkinabbey.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/logo.png 0 0 Mepkin Abbey https://mepkinabbey.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/logo.png Mepkin Abbey2016-12-27 16:03:042019-02-06 19:53:50Mushroom Barley Casserole
Mushroom Barley Casserole
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions diced
- 4 1/2 cups(12 ounces) sliced Oyster mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups barley
- ¾ teaspoons dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cups boiling low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add al the ingredients except the stock. Saute stirring frequently, until mushrooms begin to brown about 10 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into a deep 2 quart baking dish and pour in the broth. Cover tightly and bake for up to 60 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. The barley should have a slightly crunchy texture. If to hard, add some boiling water and cook 10 minutes more.