- 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced – about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced – 2 teaspoons
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups pearl barley
- 6 oz. Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil and add onion and garlic. Sauté until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add broth, barley, mushrooms, and soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until most liquid is absorbed and mixture is thickened. This will take about 40 minutes.
- In the last couple of minutes of cooking, stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper